A New Stamp Set and a Challenge

This card took FOR-EV-VER!! (We've been watching the movie The Sandlot lately ;) I really loved Taylor's cupcake sketch until I started working with it. What a pain in the butt it was to try and get that crooked panel lined up along the edges. I know I made it a lot more difficult than it needed to be by adding the black panel too. I was going to go with just the polka dot's and then it felt like it was missing something. I finally had to just live with the bit of crookedness along the edges. This sketch is not good for a perfectionist!!!!
But all whining aside I think I like this card. It still feels a little off to me but my hubby liked it!!! This is the first card I've made with this new stamp set from SU. It's called Dreams Du Jour and will be available in the new catalog. I choose Real Red and Black for my colors. I tried to make this a monochromatic card but added a little bit of green to the leaves, I guess it still qualifies. The polka dots are My Minds Eye and adorable!!! The scallop squares are from my Marvy Giga punch. I layered them behind the main panel and used my round corner punch to make room for the silver brads. I added the three along the side on black circles to make them stand out off of the paper. The ribbon was my last attempt to add the missing something to the card. I don't know, what do you think, am I to hard on myself or should I try again???

Thanks for stopping by!!

7 comments:

Christi said...

This is beautiful! I love the colors! Thank you so much for visiting my blog! :)

Sankari W. said...

Oh My goodness Maria - this is beautiful!! I think you are being way too hard on yourself - its really a gorgeous card - I love the colors - they just make the card pop and I love that you threw in some ribbon to that sketch! Love it!!! And if you still don't like it - just send it out this way :)
It is seriously a beautiful card!!!

stampmonkey said...

You're definitely too hard on yourself...I see no crookedness anywhere! I know what you mean, though, about this sketch not being an easy one for perfectionists. I reeeeally struggle with diagonal cuts on cards too. I think you did a great job with the sketch (LOVE those polka dots!) and you just need to sit back and be happy with it! ;D

Susan (rainy) said...

This is really striking! The black layer behind the angled panel adds a ton of pop.. Love it.

Anne Marie Peterson said...

Hi Maria! I love the red, black, and white color combo! Your card is just gorgeous.
Hugs, Anne Marie
http://didsomeonesaystamp.blogspot.com

Taylor VanBruggen said...

Your card is beautiful! I love it... definitely worth all your effort in getting that panel straight! :)

Tammy Hershberger said...

LOL You're right... it did take some thought on the placement of that panel! Nice job... love the black and red!