Define Your Style

Do you have a style? I definately have a style when it comes to my home but when it comes to cards I'm not sure if I have a definate one. I know there are a lot of elements that I like on most of my cards but I think my style is still developing. Betsy Veldman issued a Stylish Challenge to her readers. Find 3 or 4 pictures that define your style and make a card based on them. This sounded like fun and this is what I came up with.

1. I love SO many things about this photo. I love the eclectic style, all the color and the mix of metal in the backsplash, the hardware and even the bar stools. I would love to have this kitchen!2. Any of you regular readers are sure to pick out what in the next photo makes my heart skip a beat. THE GINGHAM!!!!!! GLG (Gotta Love Gingham) :) I love the pattern and I think it goes with everything. But I also love the contrast of the black and white with the pop of color. I don't do monochromatic very well (even though I love the look). I much prefer to have each element pop and stand out and black has a way of making each color do that.3. I would love to have this piece of furniture in my house! Isn't it gorgeous :) I choose this picture though because as much as I love the shabby, ecelectic style I also love balance. I like things straight and linear. This photo has balance with the drawers, cabinets and even the plates on the middle shelf. Even when I make a shabby or messy card, if you look closely there is always balance and things are pretty planned out.4. This picture is all about color and texture. I love the mix of the patterns and I love the way the texture makes it all work together. I think learning to work with texture was one of the biggest lessons I learned when I started making cards. Running your cardstock through a cuttlebug or adding some dp with a bit of a pattern can really turn a boring card into WOW! Plus, take a look at those chairs on each side of the bed...yummy!I think I did a pretty good job making a card using each of the elements and I love the results. It's full of texture, contrast, gingham, metallic elements and still feels pretty ecelectic but very balanced. I used Jen's SFYTT for this card.Head on over to Betsy's blog and check out her inspiration. You may want to try it yourself too! Oh yeah, did I mention she has prizes involved ;)
Thanks for stopping by!

Recipe:
Stamps: May KOTM (unity stamps)
Paper: Basic Black (su), White (dmd industries), Green Gingham (the paper studio), Floral print (my minds eye)
Ink: Tuxedo Black (memento)
Accesories: Swiss Dot Embossing Folder, Circle Punches (su), Silver Brads (the paper studio), Machine Stitching, Black Polka Dot Ribbon (the paper studio), Decorative Scissors (fiskar), Scallop Dot Punch (martha stewart)

9 comments:

Katie Cotton said...

this is so sweet! oh... hahahaha. i just laughed at myself because i remembered you used the word sweet on your card. hahahahahaa.

Jane said...

Gasp! Do I want that kitchen!!!!! Love it all! Your card is gorgeous!!

Sparkle said...

Your card is so cute! I love all the lovely pictures and great job with putting it all together.

LeAnne said...

Oooh, love all those inspirations and your card came out adorable! I will have to check out her challenge!

NinaB said...

Those are great inspirations. You did a great job with your beautiful card. Don't you just love Betsy's challenge. I hope she makes it a regular one.

Betsy V said...

Oh, I love it! I love the photos you chose and you did a super job of translating that look to your card! Thanks for playing! :-)

Tammy Hershberger said...

Oh YES, I could so see myself in that kitchen, too!!! LOVE it! And the bedding is gorgeous! I love seeing your "style" in these pictures! And awesome card! It's definitely YOU!

Susan said...

I love all the inspiration pictures - makes me want to redecorate! You did a great jobt ransfering all that into your adorable card.

Dana said...

Your sentiment says it all - SWEET card! Thanks for sharing your inspiration. Love the kitchen, too :-)